In the midst of innocuous banter regarding street traffic, I am made aware of the vast chasm dividing those who race to their destination unhindered and those who are stopped at each intersection by solid red. Those made to wait steep in restless rage, frustration; they are overwhelmed by seeming injustice. They hear the ticking clock and sense the impending despair of being left behind. "How will I catch up?," they quake. "At this rate how will I ever get there?," they fret. And in those who wait quietly, unobtrusively, lament wells up from the depths, "Have I been forgotten?"
We are inept at waiting without strain or struggle. Each of us has a will, a way, dreams, and plans we'd like to see realized promptly, fluidly. In our hearts we are stubborn & greedy. As a community we disdain delay, racing through yellow lights shouting victoriously at our own advancement, sneering at the fools made to wait. In our fellowship we are selfish & superficial.
At the core of our struggle with waiting is a seed of falsehood. We build our identity on a culturally-accepted progression of achievement and acquisition. We believe that faster is better, less is less, delay is a symptom of apathy or rebellion. In some circles we even believe that the hampered life signals punishment, lack of blessing.
For the Waiting, the implication of our cultural distortion is severe, and my heart is heavy. But grace finds and reminds me of a truth mighty enough to free us from isolation and heartache. My burden is that the single, barren, unemployed, disabled, and discouraged would know this truth:
But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him.
He [or She] will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream.
It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green.
It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.
Jeremiah 17:7-8 (NIV)
You who wait on the Lord because you trust him and his traffic direction, you are blessed.
You who wait are sturdy, connected securely to your life source, wanting for nothing.
You who wait don't need to be afraid because you are well-watered and will not wither away in the stillness.
You who wait need not worry about delay because even in the suspension you abound in love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self-control.
![]() |
| photo by Chris Hoover |
You who wait and heed and surrender are protected under His wing and shaped by His hand. You are not forgotten. You are not defective, beyond hope, or running out of time. You are loved and will serve as a shining testament to His grace.
You who wait will not be more valuable or valid once you find a spouse, become a parent, secure employment, or receive healing. You are valuable and productive now because you are His.
You who wait are not invisible. You are the one waiting patiently for your future spouse, rooting yourself in Christ and letting him use you now, unshaken in the perfection of His timing for you. You are the woman without children of your own who goes boldly to the little ones in need-- caring, protecting, giving. You are the man without children of your own who boldly loves his God and his wife, standing up as intercessor for your family, present and future. You are unemployed, seeking the Lord for your life's purpose and work, standing confidently in who you are apart from title or salary. You are the caregiver of one helpless and needy, limited in your social circle and affluence, but rich in love and faithfulness. You are helpless and disabled, quietly dependent and confident in those brought to care for you. You decide each day, as you come upon another stoplight, to be glad because today has been made by the Lord.
Waiting is not for the weak, my friends. Those who wait will not be disappointed or ashamed. Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. Those who trust in Him are blessed and never fail to bear fruit. My burden for you (and me) who wait is that we would remember the truth and learn to see the sculpting and fruit in those apparently inactive, stilled. For us who wait, we need to stay connected to the stream, keep standing firm in the truth and remain faithful in prayer, in our utter dependence.
For you who wait and pray for us, ask to see the fruit of the contrite spirit. Encourage with truth, not with doubt or fear. As one who has been waiting and seemingly idle for a long stretch, I want you to know how much I love and appreciate your prayers and encouragement. I was reminded not long ago to pray for those praying for us because as we continue to live suspended, your faith is tested, too, and you need His strength to continue supporting us. What's beautiful about you is that by your faith for us, you too, become one who waits and trusts...and one who is gifted with blessing and fruit.
Whether you're at a red light or looking back at it in your rearview, be alert because you might be in the perfect position to witness a miracle.

I appreciate the stoplight analogy...from all the recent drives? :) I often think about my experiences of waiting for things, as being directly proportional to my being "defective", forgotten, or because my faith isn't "up to par". Thanks for sharing and exhorting readers (myself included) to wait, without being idle. In that state, I often begin complaining and become so paralyzed that I can't see when God presents blessings (large and small, or even unrelated to my seemingly monstrous dilemmas).
ReplyDeleteAppreciate your words and heart.
Thanks, Jane. Yes, how can we live in southern California and not use driving analogies? :) I think waiting has made me hyper-sensitive to the fact that we need each other for prayer, support, truth. It would be so much easier to wait on an island, free of opinions, judgments & comparisons. But we need each other to recognize the beauty in waiting, the power of prayer, and sometimes to even point out the fruit God has made in the meanwhile. Anyway, much love to you!
ReplyDeleteThis blog just blew me away.
ReplyDeleteI haven't been moved emotionally or felt spoken-to by a piece of writing in a long time..... not like this. The truth in this writing just came across to me, after reading it a second time, in a profound way. I too know what it's like to have to wait.... to be forced to remain still while uncertainties of career, or the outcome of a struggle with poor health in a loved one hang just out of reach.... exist just beyond what's visible. I can be agonizing. Even defeating at times. The anxiety and fear can paralyze for sure... or leave us exhausted in our efforts to find an answer.
I hate the constant pressure of needing to prove myself with accomplishments and scores and honors. Always working for the "next best". Why does there always have to be something more, something better to acquire? Some new position to reach or a stage in life that is "expected". Things which I bet God cares little about. And yet I devote all my energy to such endeavors, just so I can compare myself to another and reap some perverted gratification or satisfaction from it. I liked what you wrote about us not being more valuable when we have secured our careers.... rather we are valuable because of who we are in Him. It reminded me of a quote, "It is not because we are valuable that we are loved. But rather, it is because we are loved that we are valuable." Our identity and security rests in Him.
I can't help but wonder if our Lord purposefully withholds one blessing from our grasp, in order to encourage us to stop, wait, and recognize another. (Unfortunately I rarely take the hint). After all, isn't it when we are silent, that we are most capable of experiencing God? And when we can learn to be still and experience God, beauty springs forth from us and we may then be a blessing to another. Beauty, like the truth written above, and a blessing to anyone to reads it and takes it to heart.
Thanks Jac. Your family and friends all around you are better off because of who Christ has enabled you to become.
AMD
I continue to be blown away by the way the Lord is speaking to so many different people through this one simple truth. What a beautiful reflection and response. Surrender and identity are universal struggles. Fortunately He is head over all the universe and He will meet you in this place. Thanks Friend.
ReplyDeleteI love this line, "... racing through yellow lights shouting victoriously at our own advancement, sneering at the fools made to wait." I've totally done that before (my teen tradition to kiss my hand and tap the roof, as I soar through.)
ReplyDeleteMaybe it's because of this experience that can make me feel like other people are sneering at me while I'm in waiting. It can make me want to isolate, become defensive and convince myself that I'm alone, that no one else understands or feels alone too. Thanks for the reminder that loss, waiting and hope (or hopelessness) affect us all -- and draw us together, if we let them. Love you!
Love you, Friend! Thanks for a beautiful reflection & response. I think you've just given us a great truth to consider as we process our own tendencies to isolate, become defensive, think we're alone during waiting, pain, or displacement. Helps me choose more carefully how I respond to those around me, knowing we will all be tested/broken at one time or another.
DeleteThanks for sharing this reflection, prima. It's such a good Word and appropriately counter-cultural. I am reminded of the scripture: "Be still and know that I am God." It isn't, "Move and progress and know that I am God." I was amazed how often I noticed God showing up when I slowed down because of Saskia's treatments (though I was filled with anxiety about it at first, and from time to time), and how challenged she was by the idle time, and yet how she soon found richenss in it (through struggle of course). Love you! Hope to see you and Chris soon. Zach
ReplyDelete