By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established;
through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures.
Proverbs 24:3-4

1.31.2010

Bon Appetit!



Ever since renting "Julie & Julia," the motion picture about writer Julie Powell and super chef Julia Child, I've been completely absorbed in "My Life In France," Julia Child's book detailing her years in France where she first learned about food, attended culinary school and ultimately became the TV chef and author we all know. A good chunk of Christmas money bought me not 1 but 3 books about Julia. I'm dying to know more about what fueled the fire of such an icon. I spend many nights with the book & reading light under a tent of blankets I create in bed, filling my curiosity and passing time until my brain decides it's tired enough for sleep.

With my cooking job (I really need to think of a better title for it) well underway and more successful than not, I decided to attempt a Julia Child-worthy birthday meal for my mom. It, of course, had to be French. And, as such, needed to include many small but beautiful courses. Sadly I caught a horrible cold (again) about a week before the big event and felt as though my vision couldn't come to pass. As the day approached, however, I was reassured by the helpful hands of my siblings and we came together to create victory! Here are some pictures of the dinner, courtesy of Aunt Lisa. 
     Premier- Mixed greens salad with grilled pears, candied walnuts, cranberry blue cheese crumbles and a sweet mustard vinaigrette.
    Second- French onion soup with gruyere cheese. (recipe by Jacques Pepin)
     Tiers- Mustard roasted Red Snapper with fresh green beans. (fish recipe by Ina Garten)
     Quatrieme- Bistro steaks with Provencal butter, fingerling potatoes & cherry tomatoes (steak recipe by Ina Garten)
     Fin- Chocolate covered cream puffs with lemon filling & Chocolate fondue with assorted fruit, marshmallows & angel food cake (fondue by Aunt Lisa)
Merveilleux! I'm scheduled to do a dinner party for the family I cook for at the end of February. Don't think it will be this grand, but as something to plan for, work toward and execute, it was a perfect January challenge. 

3 comments:

  1. Sean Hanrahan2/8/10, 8:59 PM

    The dinner was a challenge, but well worth the efforts. Very Tasty!

    I'm glad to see you are blogging (a good platform for casual writing) and look forward to reading more.

    Let's cook another meal in March (before April Madness).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delicious and complicated! How long did it take you to prepare and cook everything?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took a little while to get things prepped, ie. candied walnuts, parmesan crisps (I forgot to list with the steak), the herb butter, etc. But once we got the soup going, everything was pretty quick. It was worth the effort...but maybe not for every day! :)

    ReplyDelete