By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established;
through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures.
Proverbs 24:3-4

1.24.2012

Resolution Reboot

Now that we're almost through January 2012, I thought I'd rewind a tad, revisiting a New Year's resolution (read: broad, loose, avoidable goal) I'd made: "Get back into Regular Exercise." Chris's wasn't much better in terms of specific measurability: "Start Running More." For about a week, we rose to "the challenge," in fact increasing our fitness activity. I printed a half marathon training schedule (we like Hal Higdon's free programs), Chris enjoyed his new GPS/heart rate monitor watch, and we gleefully welcomed the return of dead toenails and sore muscles. 


But then... I decided to take on additional part-time work, we started planning a marriage retreat, my car battery died, and Chris became engulfed in licensing exam materials. Nothing throws a wrench in our plans faster than Life, right? January continues to creep away, meaning we've already failed at maintaining even 30 (20? 10?) days of Resolution. Good grief! I'm sure studies show that most resolutions set on January 1 are kaput by February 1. Time to dust off our violins and replay the sad songs of excuse. 


Or maybe not. 


I think the top killers of our resolve are (1) legalism and (2) immeasurable, non-specific goals. Just because our schedules got hectic for a week doesn't mean we've failed and can't get back on track. Goals too broad? Tighten! Before heading into another week with "FAIL" staring me in the face, I realized that there is always an opportunity to start again. Grace allows me to walk to my closet at any time, pull out my running shoes and hit the road, guilt-free. (Not)coincidentally, God's been modeling this concept with me in other areas of life, trying to soften my over-achieving, needing-to-please heart. It's not Pass/Fail. He's always there, waiting for me with outstretched hand to simply stand back up or take a step forward. No judgment, just a new day filled with the good plans of a loving Father. 


So yesterday I started over. I didn't go back to Week 1--I picked up where I left off. "Monday: Stretch & Strengthen"--done! To narrow our goals, Chris & I decided we will run another half marathon and are in the process of deciding between a couple of April races. To compliment the running, we will also cut out sugar for the month of February. Measurable, Doable. Seeing a finish line down the road--whether said line lies 2 weeks, 30 days, or 3 months away-- is invaluable for maintaining new disciplines. On another note, having spent a few years in a season of life where very little seems certain or achievable, God continues to show up with profound growth opportunities, purpose, and healing when I set (and reach) small, positive, attainable goals. I might not be able to achieve pregnancy at-will (or even with exhaustive efforts) but I can glorify God with my body by acknowledging its strengths and not taking for granted the health He's restored to me. 


If you've been struggling to maintain a New Year's resolution and are about to abandon ship, don't!! Even if you're discovering that your resolution was ill-timed, unrealistic, too broad, illegal maybe, keep in mind that you can set new goals any day! Whether you want to resolve issues of time, health, relationships, spirituality, employment, or attitude, God cares about all of it and delights in helping us take those baby steps toward living the full lives He intended for us from the beginning. 


All our best for maintaing your resolutions and walking taller, healthier, and more joyfully in 2012! 


p.s. If you've always wanted to knock back 13.1, let us know! 



No comments:

Post a Comment