Despite the good start to the season, last week my heart became heavy laden with baggage. We lost another family member to cancer, the fifth cancer loss of the year. Our neighbor reached out to us for help--the victim of a violent crime--and my spirit wept over the thick, oppressive darkness in her home. The Lord was also working in my heart--one last stretch of faith for 2011; an opportunity to surrender past hurts and walk more freely into the new year. And, of course, the pressures of Christmas were building. Mourning and trembling. As I stared out our kitchen window, my hands lost in a pile of soapy suds, I asked the Lord, "Where did my joy for Christmas go?" He reminded me of our enemy who lurks around, jumping at every chance to steal the awe and excitement of our Savior's birth. I slunk down into myself, ashamed that I'd let him creep in. "What can I do about it?" I asked. After a brief pause, I felt my heart lift slightly and the words, Have yourself a merry little Christmas. Let your heart be light, flowed beautifully through my mind. I smiled and started singing out loud:
From now on, our troubles will be out of sight!
Have yourself a merry little Christmas
make the yuletide gay.
From now on our troubles will be miles away!
Here we are, as in olden days, happy golden days of yore.
Faithful friends who are dear to us gather near to us once more.
Through the years we all will be together, if the [Lord] allow[s].
Hang a shining star upon the highest bough!
And have yourself a merry little Christmas now.
I let the song marinate in my heart and roll off my tongue throughout the day. As I did, I realized that it's always my choice to let my heart be light or troubled; hold on to sorrow and worry or cast my cares upon Him. It's always my choice to enjoy the ones gathered around me or pine away for those gone. And, most importantly, I choose where to focus my gaze. I'd spent too much time looking at the problems, troubles, and grievances and not enough time looking upward at that star, the one that has pointed to Christ since his birth.
So this week, I made some changes. With my eyes fixed Heavenward I've belted out many a Christmas tune with the children in my life, made garland and wrapped gifts, imagining the joy of their recipients. My heart was lifted as my little Thomas explained how Jesus was "boring" [born] in the manger. And I've walked away guilt-free from to-do's that are really very unnecessary. We want to give each other our best but if the choice is between giving my best undivided attention or my best, most glamorous table setting, I have to consider my choices carefully. No one wants my cookies iced with negativity, my gifts wrapped with stress ribbons or my presence marked with strained coercion. Sometimes, less is more, a trend started long ago with a tiny bundle of joy requiring only open hearts and knees bent in adoration. So forget the things that are getting you down & stealing your joy and have yourself a merry little Christmas now...
Wishing you rest, true joy, and the warmest, holiest nights as you fix your eyes on and celebrate Christ!
So this week, I made some changes. With my eyes fixed Heavenward I've belted out many a Christmas tune with the children in my life, made garland and wrapped gifts, imagining the joy of their recipients. My heart was lifted as my little Thomas explained how Jesus was "boring" [born] in the manger. And I've walked away guilt-free from to-do's that are really very unnecessary. We want to give each other our best but if the choice is between giving my best undivided attention or my best, most glamorous table setting, I have to consider my choices carefully. No one wants my cookies iced with negativity, my gifts wrapped with stress ribbons or my presence marked with strained coercion. Sometimes, less is more, a trend started long ago with a tiny bundle of joy requiring only open hearts and knees bent in adoration. So forget the things that are getting you down & stealing your joy and have yourself a merry little Christmas now...
Wishing you rest, true joy, and the warmest, holiest nights as you fix your eyes on and celebrate Christ!
Merry Christmas and much love from us!
Hi Jac- I've always enjoyed that song and I'm glad it came to your mind as you chose to think on good things that day. Your decision to "let your heart be light" is the key there. Thank you for being transparent and encouraging!
ReplyDeleteAnd have yourself a merry little Christmas! See ya tonight (24th)!