By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established;
through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures.
Proverbs 24:3-4

1.15.2014

2014: His Story Continues

Welcome to a new year, Friends! 

I don't know about you but I'm still in the process of grasping the newness, the potential hope, dreams, and vision for 2014. I can't remember a year where I was ready with resolutions come January 1. It's too much for my brain to dream of a new year while Starbucks still serves seasonal drinks and neighborhoods glow with colored lights. 

Last week though, Chris took down the Christmas tree, we cleaned up the piles of gifts and cards laid about like monuments to the jolly days of the past months, and my planner refill arrived (yes, I still use paper & pen). It was a sad progression of days as I very reluctantly said thank you and goodbye to the season of reflection, anticipation, and cheer. And lots of food. I miss you already, Pumpkin Spice Americano.

I could have stayed wrapped up in those warm festivities for a long, long time. 

2013 was quiet and unhurried, abundant and freeing. It was also lonely and frustrating, and painfully faith-stretching. Like any season, I grew accustomed to its rhythms and I admit: Uncertainty often stains a beautiful blank slate for me. Do I really have to start over? What's expected of me now? When/how will I find out? On a scale of 1-10, how much will it hurt? Is this a pruning year? fruitful year? waiting year? 

But (literally, right now) God has showed me this: 2014 is not a blank slate, per se. Yes, my calendar is mostly empty and I can only guess at the twists and turns that might ultimately shape the year (and me). With the "new year" smell fresh in my nostrils it might be a natural time to trade habits--old for better. However, He doesn't drop me off at The Edge of Nowhere each January 1st and say, "Good luck. Re-invent, re-create, don't disappoint me." 

No, He keeps my hand firmly gripped in His and asks, Are you ready for more of what I have for you? His eyes sparkle, He is radiant with glory and power--pure--and He grins, hinting at the wildest, most fantastic surprises in store...for me

The truth is, He gave me a blank slate when I accepted His gift of grace on the cross. Done once to last forever and cover over all seasons. From there, He continues to build and grow, heal, prune, and shape. His compassion is new every day, meaning it's never too late to trade in your junk for his treasure. His work is never rushed or limited by our rat race or calendar years.  

A few years ago I was one who resolved not to resolve for the new year. I thought: what's the point of torturing myself with resolutions I'm probably not going to keep? Before I could fail (again) I'd just take myself out of the game. Problem solved. 

This year I want to resolve to lean on the strength of the great Hand that holds mine. I want  to look Him in the eye and answer and ask, yes, Lord. What would you have me do this year?  And then I want to enjoy waiting for the answers and delight in His perfect leadership. 

It's 2014 and He will continue the work He's (always) doing in and through and for you. Maybe there are some habits you've known should be relinquished or begun and you're already 15 days in. Great! Maybe you're staring into the unknown, thinking you're going to skip the resolutions this year. Maybe you think you're doing just fine and if God wants to get your attention He will. In any case, would you be willing to lay your plans, fears and opinions before God? Open them up to His will for you? Do you believe He has the power and the love to make this year incredible?

This is the best way I know how to get started: prayer. It can be tough to break our speech patterns with God, our mode of resolving and planning, but here are some new ways we might approach Him. Instead of praying, God, bless my plans to_______, or thinking, If it's God's will it will happen (and if it's not it won't), try these:

Lord, what do you want to show me about {situation}?
Lord, what do you have to say about {situation}?
Lord, what are your dreams for me {personally, relationally, professionally}?
Lord, what things am I putting above you {idols, obstacles, addictions, pride, fear, people} that can be removed this year?
Lord, would you break the chains that hold me captive to {habit, mindset, addiction, health problems}?
Lord, how would you have me spend my time/days this year? Would you show me things that really matter vs. things that distract?
Lord, how can I love my spouse better? {or family, friends, neighbors, church, enemies}
Lord, how would you have me use (spend/save) money more effectively this year?
Lord, how do you see me? What did you create me to do? Would you show me who I am in you and how you'd have me live as a child of yours?
Lord, I have so many plans and dreams but I want your will above all; would you guide my steps?

God can be trusted with your new year because He never forsakes those who inquire of Him and want what He wants. We can only fail if we surrender to fear or cozy up to complacency. We can only be uncertain about our future if we try to conquer it alone and shape it by our own appetite and strength. I'm still waiting on answers to my questions, but each day hope rises out of the knowledge that He will continue His work in me and lead me steadily on this journey of purpose and promise. 

May you be filled with joy and awe as you seek God this year, and may you walk in the freedom of his once-for-all grace that has made you worthy to receive all He has for you. 

May all who seek You rejoice and be glad in You; 
And let those who love Your salvation say continually,
"Let God be magnified."
Psalm 70:4

4 comments:

  1. I love your new post. The words, "Are you ready for more of what I have for you?" is so exciting and how I feel this year too. There's nowhere I'd rather be than holding His hand, staying right by His side! Beautifully written, Jaclyn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I loved that part, too--not because they were words I was crafting but because I really heard Him ask me that and it made me excited (and made me cry!). I hope this year's journey is full of life & excitement for you!

      Delete
  2. Yes, I completely agree with you both! This post really touched my heart and I too love the invitation for those who are "ready for more"! I shared it with a friend last week who would love to follow you, if that's ok? -M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad it spoke to you and I'm glad you can share it with others. Of course I'd love more followers! haha. Thank you for being a faithful reader (even if you are my mom!).

      Delete